Thursday, March 01, 2007

Mother Escapes

I did a performance of my poem "Mother Escapes" at the DESC Talent Show, and Wes recorded it. I won a poetry slam with this, once, but this is the first time I've done it with feathers (poetry slams don't allow props) and I fumbled a few lines. It was still fun for all. For a very amateur video, I'm tickled with it. :)



Mother Escapes

Many years ago my mother was locked up
in St. Francis Cabrini Hospital because
we didn't know what else to do
with manic women
back then.

But Mother knew
LOTS better things to do
than to be locked up in a little room.

She tore her down pillow open
with her teeth,
blew handfuls of soft white feathers under the door,
and yelled,
"Fire!
Fire!"

An orderly actually came
and threw the door open.

Faster than a naked toddler
Mother skinned under his arm,
dashed down the hallway,
slammed through the front doors
and raced down the sidewalk;

3-o-clock in the afternoon,
broad daylight,
92 pounds in a flapping hospital gown,
long wiry black hair
and feathers,
yelling,
"Fire!
Fire!"

Mother told me the story herself.
I was ever so proud of her.
To this day
I stand a little taller
when I have feathers in my hair.


© Anitra L. Freeman

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great performance! I love it with the feathers.